CONTENTS

Monday, June 22, 2009

Photoshop into GIMP (1)

Karen Stiehl Osborn has been blogging her use of Photoshop over the last couple of days. I don't have Photoshop and I can't decide whether it's the geek or the quilter in me that wants a copy. I could buy a lot of textile paint for what it costs. So a while ago I downloaded GIMP an open source program which is pretty similar, but has a different vocabulary for the tools. I play a bit and leave it, then forget how I got the results I got, so in attempt to record somm of it's capabilities I'm going to try to replicate Karen's effects in GIMP. Yesterday Karen explored Photoshop "Cutout" Filter, the nearest tool to this in GIMP seems to be either the posterise tool Colours > Posterise or the colour indexing tool under Image > Mode >

Karen's image:



My image, with the Posterise level at 9:




The colour saturation is greater on my image which I think (hope!) accounts for the difference. Taking the indexing down to 9 produces this version:



No comments: