CONTENTS

Saturday, December 04, 2010

Catching up

In between times I went to the Knitting and Stitching Show at Harrogate. I really enjoyed the trip which was made with several friends, and included an overnight stop and a lovely meal at Quantro on the Royal Parade.
The show itself was less appealing for me - I'd forgotten how crowded it can get and how claustrophobic some of the spaces can feel. The Gallery space was by far the best area, but even so there seemed to be a disproportionate amount of space given over to traders. I was particularly intrigued by the work of Gizella K. Warburton a textiles and mixed media artist that exemplified the crossover between embroidery and art quilts. Janet Browne showed her own take on applique:


I seem to be into whimsical at the moment which is probably why I enjoyed the enthusiasm of the young start ups in the cafe area, particularly - LoveLittle and Tania Sneesby who both brought something different to the mix.
Needless to say I shopped but surprised myself by coming home with project for clothes! I bought a pattern and wool for a jacket to replace a much loved one which is wearing away, and loved the range of wools on sale -Toft Alpaca and Habu Textiles to name but two.
My best buy was a pattern for a top from Merchant and Mills. I loved this stand from first glance, even though I didn't quite understand what I was looking at but their packaging drew me in. Aside from the delightful haberdashery Carolyn makes and sells patterns. She has a limited range but each is made up in several sizes so you can try the style before you buy - no more buying a pattern only to find that it doesn't suit you. This is what I bought and having made it up - it does exactly what it says on the can!



The pattern is made from card and I don't think I will ever be tempted to try a tissue paper pattern again - it was so easy to work with. I'm seriously hoping that Carolyn will extend her pattern collection soon!

No comments: