CONTENTS

Thursday, August 31, 2006

Thinking out loud

e-conversations with Margaret have set me thinking again. I've been spending too long looking at other people's work and become sidelined by techniques again. I love learning how to do things, (I'm using 'Writely' * to compose this post, because it's new to me,under it's Google ownership,and I want to see how it works!) but all that means is that I become a 'jack of all trades' with little to show for it. So I thought I'd try to figure out what I like to see whether this will help make me more 'focussed' - hmmmmm. Perhaps I'd be better with a list:

I respond strongly to colour combinations and shapes.

I don't think I've ever started a piece based on an emotional response to an event.

I love squares (now there's an emotional response!)

I use strong colours a lot

I like creating 'new' fabrics by scribble stitching smaller pieces of like colours together

At the moment I'm very drawn to small tactile pieces, like this needlecase full of exhibition sample pieces from Brunel Broderers

Long narrow shapes appeal, but most pieces dictate their own size and shape.

I'm looking for a sense of calm in what I do.

I've developed a liking for leaf shapes

I find the accuracy of traditional piecing soothing but get bored quickly making blocks.

Reviewing the list below there is a strong graphic quality running through the work of these people.

Some work that I like:

Dianne Firth

Korean wrapping cloths / Pojagi

Liz Myhill

Norman carving

Paul Klee

Tiled floors

Agnes Martin

I've just been trying to find the web link to Agnes Martin's work and came across a favourite book - The Elements of Design by Loan Oei and Cecile De Kegel. I opened a page at random and came across - a photo of part of a Pojagi ...... strong graphic elements, piecing but not repetitive, serendipity???? I'd need a faster way of piecing these than creating a pattern, cutting templates and adding seam allowances, that kind of fiddling would irritate the life out of me. Perhaps I'll try the trusty soldering iron sometime, but then maybe not - that would be just trying another technique, wouldn't it

This I now realise is a beginning - not an end. Margaret mentioned morning journalling - I am not a morning person, but I suspect I will come back to this and add to it and perhaps some of the mud will clear or perhaps not. But at least I know how to use Writely now, another technique added to the collection!

*One good thing about Writely I've discovered is that it auto saves as you go along - no more losing an almost complete blog post !

5 comments:

Karoda said...

I'm a technique-aholic myself, but a few months ago I decided to work with more focus than I ever have. I allow myself to play with something new when I meet an objective that I've set for myself.

We have similiar appeals in design. In my own work I prefer/squares/rectangles/grid/horizontal orientaion and patterning with a limited palette that denotes calm or mystery. The Pojagi pieces and the work of Agnes Martin both have qualities I'd like for my own work to have. Thanks for introducing me to these.

The Idaho Beauty said...

Many of the things on your list sound like me, especially:

"Long narrow shapes appeal, but most pieces dictate their own size and shape.

I'm looking for a sense of calm in what I do.

I've developed a liking for leaf shapes

I find the accuracy of traditional piecing soothing but get bored quickly making blocks."

In identifying these things, I then stumbled on a method of working new to me that speeded up the process of some designs yet gave me the look I wanted. It came about through experimentation - that trying new techniques.

So don't be overly worried - you'll find your way if you keep at it.

The WestCountryBuddha said...

Colour and shape are what motivate me most. I'm beginning to want to put emotional responses (what I call intellectual depth - ha!) to my work but am struggling because I don't know how/where to start. I'm sure its a long and winding path of revelation and I have a sneaky suspicion I might just end up back where I started.

The WestCountryBuddha said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
margaret said...

Starting points for that pojagi project --
1. start where you are and keep going in any direction
2. start from the middle and work outwards
3. start something else (just kidding!)