CONTENTS

Thursday, September 20, 2007

Working through a good idea...

... and finding it wasn't as good as you thought, isn't half so painful when the piece is scaled down to something like A4 size.

I've had this collection of strips pinned up for some time and thought I'd try one of my stamps on it. I still think the idea has some mileage, but with an amended colour range, without the stamps, with a higher loft wadding and a different quilting pattern. Yes. it will be a completely different animal but instead of agonising for weeks before coming to this conclusion, it's taken me two (short) evenings - so no great loss for the lessons learned.

What I did like was the backing technique I used allowing a raw edged front, though it probably wouldn't work on a huge piece. I'm having problems with my wadding, I suspect that I'm not really considering the impact of the quilting, I don't think this little piece would have looked so dull if I'd used a wadding that showed the difference in quilting density between the stamped areas and the rest.


1 comment:

margaret said...

Wonder what would happen on a background that consistently contrasted with the colour of the stamp - and quilted everywhere but on the stamp - and maybe did some foiling - and ... and ...