CONTENTS

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Routine - or the lack thereof

I have routines in my life - I eat, go to work, shop for food regularly and reliably, but when it comes to routines for me I baulk at the idea. It doesn't matter whether it's beneficial or pleasurable, something inside me resists the idea of the 'sameness' of a routine.

I think this is something I picked up from my childhood where life was very routine, I just have the sense that if I decide I will do X at Y o'clock on Zday my life will become moribund (Unusual word for me, had to check it out to make sure it meant what I thought - it did.)

However, it seems that, three months into my shorter working week, my life is not taking on any shape or structure that sees me using the extra time to create more. I thought that a rhythm might evolve naturally as it has during longer holidays but this has not been the case. Something tells me that I'm going to have to develop a routine in order to structure my days, but there is a big internal struggle going on.

Perhaps I can fool myself by making sure I'm in my room after lunch when I'm at home, I need to try something and this could be a start!


urban symphony by marielito
Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License

1 comment:

margaret said...

Had to look up "routine" to see if there were some positive aspects.
A course of action to be followed regularly [ie, a habitual act]
A short theatrical performance that is part of a longer program
Acting in a way that has become common or expected

Possibly the negative connotation is that in a "routine life" (ordinary, dull...) the same things follow each other all the time.

Having a set time to, eg, go into the studio and see what happens next - to me that's more "a good habit" (and potential for serious fun) than a "routine"!