CONTENTS

Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Tip of the iceberg

I've hesitated to post a picture of this before as I was lucky enough to have it selected to be part of the CQ@10 challenge, which has now been displayed at the Festival of Quilts.


The idea behind it was that when we see examples of our preserved industrial heritage we rarely get a flavour of what life was really like for people whose lives were dominated by the mine. I've tries to convey the depth of the poorly lit mine shafts and the dependence of whole, large, families on the mine for their income.

There were some amazing interpretations of the photo used for the challenge all of which can be seen in the CQ@10 book:



2 comments:

pizzaeater said...

My grandfather died of Black Lung from working in the mines. It was tough work and little pay. Luckily, he led a long, full life.

Heather Dubreuil said...

What a wonderful piece, Linda. I would love to know more about how it was made.