CONTENTS

Monday, December 31, 2012

2011 was a good year ...

... and no, there isn't a typo in the title of this post. In quilting terms 2012 is likely to be as good as it gets, but that is down to work started and sometimes completed in 2011.

I had work accepted for the CQ Diversity quilt which led to being able to contribute in a small way to Guild funds when the image was selected for a postcard and later a greetings card. My CQ@10 piece was accepted for exhibition at FOQ and continues to travel. A piece I made for a 12bythe dozen challenge was selected for the QGBI 2013 calendar. And then there was the success of the wavy edged Byland Pieces in the Contemporary category at FOQ. Add to all of this - being accepted as a member of a local exhibiting group - 10+. I don't think the year could have been better in terms of tangible success.  But for me, by far the the best thing about 2012 has been gaining some focus.

Since retiring I've dabbled in lots of different techniques - mainly in surface design but this year I have come to acknowledge that what I like best is piecing.  I enjoyed my Creative sketchbook course that I completed earlier this year and have gained in confidence because of it but since then I've been very selective in the courses/workshops that I've attended and will continue in the same vein.  I'm coming rather late to realising that setting quite narrow parameters actually makes life easier not harder.

It will be interesting to see what comes from 2013. I'm working on pieces for a new group - Quilts etc as well as pieces for 10+ and the on-going 12bythedozen challenges and in January I begin an on-line course with +Lisa Call on 'Working in a series'.   It will be interesting just trying to juggle all the pieces but I'm really looking forward to it!



No comments: