CONTENTS

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Layers

Most of the time I think my work is fairly random. An idea appears which either develops into a quilt or is discarded for a newer 'better' one and these ideas appear to have little in common. Usually my ideas start with something visual - a colour combination, or a shape, often a pattern in architecture but since finishing 'Hemmed In 3' I havent lost the feelings of satisfaction (wrong word - not nearly emotive enough, but I can't think of the right one) of putting something of me into my work. I've been thinking that I'd like to do something about layers of memory. And just now there seems to be a coming together of different strands:
My favourite technique is raw edged applique, it seems to be the quickest way of creating a shape without the use of bondaweb. But I have to admit that I find the process of cutting back to reveal the underlying fabric/layers very satisfying.
Recently I've been reading on a couple of blogs about memory, thanks to Dijanne and 'Omega'.
And then this evening I came across a photo I took whilst on holiday almost a year ago and I can see layers peeling away to reveal what is underneath:













For once I think I might be able to work this idea from the fabric - I can't see my usual 'death by planning' approach being relevant. All I need now is a bit of time....

1 comment:

Olga Norris said...

I smiled at 'death by planning'. I find it almost impossible to keep a sketchbook, despite what all the art courses advise - and so often find a complete work in my brain just waiting for me to make it. Of course I change things as I go along, both because it feels right and because practical problems need solving. So now I reckon that most of my planning goes on in my head.

On the other hand, part of the planning consists of taking interesting photos, building on previous work, discovering one's own language - and what one wants to say anyway.

Thank you for your comment on my blog. It has nudged me to drift into another line of thought on memory.