CONTENTS

Sunday, December 04, 2005

Christmas Cards

My technique junkie side came to the fore recently when it came to thinking about Christmas cards. I have a photo I took a couple of years ago of frost on a cotoneaster we have in the garden.




















I've always wanted to do something with it but wasn't sure what. Then I thought about the technique Barbara Webster uses and this seemed the perfect opportunity and was small enough in scale to be workable. Barbara designs her own fabrics using photos from which she takes segments that are repeated in kaleidoscope or repeating patterns.
The image I have used on my card is a 45 degree triangle flipped and repeated eight times. My first attempt had a strong vertical/horizontal axis which seemed to detract from the other areas of the design. Even now I find myself looking at the iamge with my head to one side to 'straighten it up', but I know that I prefer this version more. I use Coreldraw which makes this kind of manipulation easy. I added a red border to enhance the colour of the berries and have some very small red beads which I will use to tie the printed fabric to some wadding.

1 comment:

The Idaho Beauty said...

Thanks for posting this. I recently purchased Corel Photo Shop Pro and discovered the button for kaleidescoping a picture. But my big problem is knowing what to do with it once I manipulate it. Seeing what you've done is a great help. It is not obvious what the original picture is, which I think is great.