CONTENTS

Tuesday, March 01, 2011

I had a deadline to meet ....

... no matter that I've know about it for three months I still manage to leave things to the last minute! This quilt is my submission for the 12bythe dozen challenge 'Structure'.


I started by making small pieces of fabric from scraps, covered with organza which was machine machine embroidered to hold them together.


Then I worked on the quilt sandwich - the backing fabric which had the design drawn on to it, then the wadding and then a layer of artificial silk. Placing each piece of 'fabric' very carefully I stitched each nautilus through the quilt sandwich.


Finally I cut away each chamber with a soldering iron. the only problem here, was that the organza fabric was immediately underneath the artificial silk and had a strong tendency to hug the soldering iron as I worked on the top layer!!!!!!


I was fairly happy with the end result, but I'm amazed at the variety of interpretations that the other members of 12bythe dozen came up with.

2 comments:

The Idaho Beauty said...

This is fabulous! Such a different interpretation than the others in the group. Well done!

Diane said...

This is so beautiful, Linda!