CONTENTS

Friday, January 13, 2012

Catching up

Yesterday I had the feeling that I was going to forget something so I sat down and made a list, and was surprised to see ten different deadlines over the next couple of months. None of them are major - but they are there, no wonder I was feeling a bit niggled. All these deadlines are textile related and most of them are for different Contemporary Quilt challenges, but it's not surprising as I haven't been doing a lot of stitching lately.
What I have been doing is the Kemshall's Creative Sketchbooks course. I haven't blogged about it as, not unreasonably, they have requested that we don't. It's their living and I would hate to be found guilty of unwittingly putting the teaching materials on the web. There are four modules and I'm just getting going with Module 3 and loving every minute of it.
One reason for me choosing this course over others was to help develop my creativity and of course that's the thing I struggle with most. Today I came across a quote from Bruce Mau which exactly describes my conundrum. "Process is more important than outcome.  When the outcome drives the process we will only ever go to where we've been.  If process drives outcome, we may not know where we are going, but we will know we want to be there."  I'll think and think and think about the outcome then work towards it, never giving myself a chance to explore. This course is giving me lots of opportunities to be creative and what am I doing - thinking about what a finished page will look like and how I'll achieve it! Self-admonition over, time to go and be creative!

No comments: